5.18.2009

A Guide to Korean / Japanese Music

Dear Listeners, it's been a while after my last posting besides play lists. Sorry for being lazy. Since I came here, I've met lots of people complaining about their narrow scopes for Asian music scene. When you think about music in Korea or Japan, first thing popping up in your mind must be K-Pop or J-Pop. Unfortunately, it's a sad truth. That is why I started my show, Cactus Cube, to introduce some good stuff from Korea and Japan.

Another sad truth is that my show is on Wednesday 4-6 a.m. (Last quarter it was same time on Thursday) so there aren't many listeners. (I guess!)

So, I want to give you some guides to find out good stuff from Korea and Japan by yourself. (Well, the best way is to listen to my show!)


This is what I'm doing to prepare my show:

1. Check out the line up of rock festivals in Korea and Japan
There ARE rock festivals in Korea and Japan, and surprisingly they are quite big!

In Korea:
- Pentaport Rock Festiva
l
- Ssamzie Sound Festival
- Grand Mint Festival

Poster of Ssamzie Sound Festival 2008, don't you feel Korean indie?

Pentaport has been the biggest rock fest in Korea but this year the original company who was in charge of Pentaport started its own rock festival(Jisan Valley Rock Festival) so, it's future is somewhat uncertain.
If you want to check out most recent indie musicians in Korea, Ssamzie Sound Festival would be a good guide. It focuses on Korean indie musician while Pentaport Rock brings more popular musicians.
For mellow and acoustic Korean sound, check out Grand Mint Festival.

In Japan:
- Fuji Rock Festival
- Summer Sonic

Unfortunately, these two are only rock festival I know in Japan. If you know other good rock festivals, please let me know!


2. Indie Label Companies
I have been in contact with several Korean indie label companies. I know little about Japanese labels, unfortunately...

- Ruby Salon

One of the hottest indie label in Korea. Artists such as Galaxy Express, Gukkasten, Black Skirts, Yellow Doggy, Pony, Lee Jang Hyuk are now under Ruby Salon. and maybe (it's not confirmed) Black Skirts and Galaxy Express will come to America late this year. (Probably NYC)

- Boonga Boonga Record

Its moto: "Survivally sound and sustainable DoReMi:SSSD"

Boonga Boonga Record got famous since one of its artists, Jang Ki Ha and the Faces became sensational figure in Korean music scene. Most of its artists including Jang Ki Ha, Youth Unemployment, Cheese Stereo, etc, are based on Korea's 80's folk music.

- Beatball Record
Beatball Record is a newly emerged indie label and now it's expanding its business. Amateur Amplifier questioned the identity of Beatball in his blog(Should Beatball record be regarded as an indie label?) yet they have released indie albums with high quality.

Hope this helps you to explore more about Korean and Japanese underground.
To be honest, I do not know well about Japanese underground. It would be nice if anyone can help me!

No comments: